All prices listed are subject to change.
Check my Etsy store or website for current prices on costumes.

Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Sewing Tip: Stay Sane--Watch a movie!

As promised, I present you with our first sewing tip. Keeping sane, by watching movies! You may be thinking "watching movies isn't a sewing tip," but we do so much sewing that we have found that it is hard to stay motivated and to keep sane.


I hope you appreciate this horrible and obviously staged picture! ;)
One day I will be out of the dark basement apartment... 
The solution that we have found is watching movies while we sew. Well, maybe not watching movies, but at least listening to them. Having a TV and a DVD playing was always a must in my mom's sewing rooms. As for me, I am in a small, one bedroom apartment, so I sew in our living room--where we have a projector set up!


The Princess Bride projected onto my improvised screen.
What kind of movies do we normally watch? There is normally only one condition for the movies that we watch while sewing: We have to have seen them before. That way, we don't get so engrossed in the movies that we stop working all together.




We typically watch movies to get in the mood or to get inspiration for the costume that we are making at the time, which means we watch a lot of Disney! Disney movies are also great, because they normally have pretty good dialogue and great sound tracks. Which leads us to another group of movies that we love. Musicals! We watch many different types of musicals: Rock of Ages, St. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band, Moulin Rouge, Across the Universe, Singing in the Rain, Pirates of Penzance, and so on. We also watch any movies we just love; Princess Bride, Monte Python, Blues Brothers, Lord of the Rings, Marvel movies, most chick flicks, and so on.

Another thing that I've got that my mom doesn't... Our projector is set up with a media computer, so I have access to one of the greatest websites ever: Netflix. This way I can watch some of my favorite movies and TV shows that I don't own!



When I find myself getting too distracted from sewing and just watching the movies instead, I listen to music through Pandora Internet Radio. If you haven't heard of it, you can pick a song, genre, or band that you like, and the website will put together a playlist with similar music. And the best part is, it is free! (Unless you want ad-free listening.)

Recently, I have also started listening to audio books. A great website/phone app that I have found is LibriVox. LibriVox is great because many books on the site are in the public domain, (which includes most classics) so the books are free to listen to! The books that are not in the public domain you must pay for, but they are generally cheaper than what you can buy in other places. (Ex. Lord of the Flies, read by William Golding himself, is $15.00 on LibriVox, and $21.00 on Audible.) The only problem is that the readers are volunteers, meaning that not all readers are of a high quality and you may find books that have different readers for each chapter.

How do you stay sane while do a lot of sewing, crafting, or other projects? Let us know in the comments below. And, as always, if you have any other comments or questions, we would love to answer them! Thanks for reading!