All prices listed are subject to change.
Check my Etsy store or website for current prices on costumes.

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Sewing Tip: Keep things Clean and Organized

I know, I know. We are starting off out series of sewing tips with some pretty obvious things. I mean, everyone knows that projects go more smoothly when you have everything clean and organized. But I have to tell you, it is not just a stereotype when they say that creative types are messy. Especially when you are sewing non-stop. You should see my mom's sewing room on the bad days! It gets pretty scary. For my own personal safety, I am not going to share any of pictures of the mess that my mom's sewing room grew into before we buckled down and cleaned stuff up!

My mom's sewing room is huge, which is understandable because she does A LOT of sewing. Sewing our costumes/creations is her full time job. She need the space to be as usable as possible so she can easily find what she needs when she needs it. To do all of this, she has put up some peg boards and shelving. Here are a few pictures of how her sewing room is organize. 

Embroidery hoops and tread, and cone hats.
Lace and other trims.
Shelves and totes for fabric
For me, keeping things clean and organized is pretty easy. That is mostly because the table I use for sewing is also our dinning table. If I want to eat, I have to clean things up... and also, by husband gets very annoyed when I don't clean up my sewing stuff.

When cutting fabric, I also use our dinning table with a mat to protect the paint. Then I have to move my sewing machine and serger so that I can use them, still with the mat to protect the table. On the floor by my chair I have a couple of cardboard boxes that I use to keep the things I need in. Ie. Thread, lace, elastic, bias tape, glue gun, fishing line, and etc. I have a few pictures of my work-space in the different stages of my sewing process below.





So there you have it, that is how both my mom and I organize our sewing areas. 

How do you organize your craft/sewing areas? We want to know! Leave a comment below. 

Please let us know if you have any questions, comments, or suggestions. 
Thanks for reading!