All prices listed are subject to change.
Check my Etsy store or website for current prices on costumes.

Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Capes for a Cause

I have spent the last couple of weeks frantically making super hero capes--thinking that I would be needing them for the event that was cancelled. While making them I couldn't help but wonder, who are the super heroes of our day? Of course we have the soldiers, police officers, and fire fighters. But I also thought of other remarkable people. People who fight valiantly everyday, and who face some things that we all fear to face.

So I made some capes for a few of these people who I thought deserve to be recognized as the heroes that they are...

The first one I made is for those brave women out there battling breast cancer. I have know many who have lost their lives to this battle, many who are trying to conquer it still, and many who have won it, for now.

I took the classic breast cancer awareness ribbon and put it inside of a shield applique. It turned out perfect! I believe this cape is great for those of those survivors and fighters out there.  

Another group I thought of are those brave children who are struggling with Congenital Heart Defects (CHD). I have a cousin who has been through multiple open heart surgeries battling this foe. He is actually up for another surgery to replace his current pacemaker. (To help his family click here.) I especially wanted to make a cape for him as his surgery approaches, but it was a little harder to do, as there is no official CHD awareness symbol. I improvised.



So I came up with this: A heart with a zipper down the middle inside of a shield. 

Both of these capes are reversible, so there could also be the hero's favorite hero logo on the other side.

They are both available on my Etsy page:  Breast Cancer Awareness and CHD Awareness.

To make a donation for breast cancer research click here
To make a donation for CHD research click here

If you can think of any other real life super heroes who need capes, let me know in the comments.

Thank you for reading!